About Me

My photo
Established in 2010, The TEXT ATL.com is a webzine and publication that promises to deliver only the most pertinent AND relevant information to the readers we serve.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Yearbook vol1- The Artist : Kendrick Daye

      "My work is me. Everything I write or draw or photograph is my unique way of looking at things.” 
written by Keisha A. Mitchell 

School/s: Morehouse
            Classification: Senior

            Kendrick Daye is a student, artist, photographer, writer, cultural commentator, great eclectic, extraordinary art machine, and so much more. The 22 year old self proclaimed “short, book loving nerd” is a Miami native who, since being in Atlanta, has contributed more than  just art to the metro area.            
             Currently pursuing his Bachelor’s Degree in English at Morehouse College, Kendrick has been directly involved in many projects that have lended the city and it’s denizens, with distinctly unique cultural events. From his work with Art Nouveau Magazine (also featured in this issue), to his photography (which was officially debuted in “The Extraordinary Art Machine” show in which he and fellow artist friend Corrine Stevie [who is also featured in this issue] became the youngest and the first African American artists to show their pieces at the WM Turner Art Galleries), Kendrick strives to provide the world with no less than his point of view with each piece he creates. As Kendrick says:
“My work is me. Everything I write or draw or photograph is my unique way of looking at things.” 
            Being formally trained in art for the last seven years couldn’t have hurt the artists’ crusade either. Finding creative mediums in everything from collages, to mix medium photography, to essays and novellas, Kendrick says he draws his inspiration from just about everywhere:
“Everyday things, people and situations inspire me most. I could be walking down the street and hear a conversation that would make me want to use the dialogue for a story. I find inspiration in everything. So I always keep my ears and mind open, I could be missing something that would complete a story or piece I'm working on.”
            How does the city of Atlanta factor into that inspiration? Kendrick says the city’s’ influence on his work has been evident. Though he doesn’t necessarily concede that his current works wouldn’t have existed, he does believe they’d be different. He says:
“…being in Atlanta for four years…I would say this, my art wouldn't be going in the direction it's in now had I never came to Atlanta. It'd be drastically different, if I stayed in Miami, or ran to New York like all designers, artists, and writers feel the need to.”
        And Atlanta has given Kendrick more than just accolades, and inspiration. As Kendrick put it, Atlanta also taught him how to accept help, thanks to networking.
 “I used to hate to ask for help …working with my Art Nouveau family, has been a learning process, because I'm learning to not only ask for help sometimes but to let people help me. I'm not superman. At one point I was running myself sick trying to do everything, when I have a team or specific individuals who are good at that particular skill. Networking is the only way to survive nowadays I feel like.”
            And Kendrick is doing more than just surviving; he and his creative endeavors are thriving. If you were to take away anything from his work, Kendrick says he would want it to be this:
“I want people to feel challenged. If you're offended, good, be offended and find out why you felt that way later. If you're not offended, I want you to feel vindicated.”
 To keep yourself posted on where Kendrick or his work will be next, he says you can always check out his site, www.artnouveaumagazine.com, or check him out more directly at www.greateclectic.com ,  or on his blog at www.the-great-eclectic.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment